Monday, January 16, 2012

Kid-Free Anniversary

Will and I decided to go Kid-Free for our 5 year wedding anniversary. In our almost 3 years of being parents we have never left the girls over night, with the exception of having Grace and then we were in the hospital and I don't call 16 hours of labor a break.  So technically this was our first night off duty, woohooooooo!

The girls happily went to their grandparents house, in anticipation for a sleep over and were so excited, and ultimately did great.  I am sure the appreciated the break, as much as us.  As far as the hubs and I, we tried so hard not to have our 30 hours of freedom too planned out.   We first got margaritas and Mexican food, then off to a great British pub downtown where we watched some soccer and drank pints.  Off to the hotel to check in and nap was next up on the list, ahh a sweet nap!  We woke up late (7ish...that's late, right?) and headed to dinner at a great wine bar downtown.  We slept all night long and spent the next day eating, lounging, talking and watching movies, it was perfect.  I know it doesn't sound like much happened, but that is the beauty of it, we got to be lazy and enjoy each other.   We couldn't help noticing all the things you get to do when you are kid-free, those magical things you take for granted before the joy (and exhaustion, chaos, etc) of kids enter your life.  We were laughing and discovered this never ending list of the simple things in life that kids make a little bit more in depth and challenging.


  • Eating out and not having to race to order or race to get out of the place if a melt down occurs...really savoring the food and the drinks was a welcomed change.
  • Day drinking, not that this is high on our list of priorities it just isn't even on the radar anymore.
  • Napping (which sort of goes a long with the above)
  • Getting to park the car and leave, just leave.  We didn't have to unhook kids, grab diaper bags, put coats on anyone. 
  • The ability to do anything QUICKLY get ready to go out, get to the car, run back up to the room, eat a meal, get dressed, etc...I felt so efficient with out kids, we could move so fast!
  • A shower, just to shower.  Not a "It's been 3 days I MUST shower" shower.
  • On that note, a quiet, long, smoking HOT shower that you don't have to share or have kids stare you down during.
  • Eating dinner at a regular time, instead of senior citizen time...not eating dinner at 4:30 was so nice.  We once went to a restaurant with the girls, beat most of the senior citizens AND got to  eat off the "early birds" menu, which is practically just the later lunch menu...score!
  • Crawling into bed at the end of a busy day and staying there, all night, no excuses and no reasons to get up.
  • Going to the bathroom...alone.
  • Having a conversation with my husband without being interrupted or the subject changing due to a sudden need of a child.
  • Hearing myself THINK, this never seems to happen anymore.
  • Eating a meal with nobody eating off of my plate, touching my lap or hair, or asking me to "get up" and fetch more items.
  • Waking up in the morning with no alarm clock, screaming child, tap on the forehead or agenda...just opening your eyes and enjoying the morning, slowly.


There are so many more, but I hadn't really had the opportunity to realize some of these things.  But even with these things to enjoy while being "kid-free" we missed the kids like crazy and after one night we couldn't wait to have them back! All and all a night like this is so important and our relationship benefited from it GREATLY, it was nice to reconnect and step out from our normal day-to-day.  We raced back to our fun chaos, with open arms, both realizing how great we really have it.

SO happy five year anniversary to us! I know that there is no way I could have picked a better partner to share and create this life with, and even though everyday is not a walk in the park, they are all worth it.  Marriage isn't for sissy's and it isn't easy.  But it is worth it, all of it.  At 17  I knew you were the person I wanted to share my life with and now almost 10 years later, it is still true and in the words of Seuss "truer than true..."  Cheers to two crazy kids that fell in love and created this amazing life I could have NEVER imagined,  I am so glad we get to share it together.



                         

No comments:

Post a Comment