We were told we were having a boy at an ultrasound that happened around 16 weeks. We found out Isabelle was a girl at 16 weeks so the thought of that changing hadn't even occurred. Well for 4 wonderful weeks we anticipated the arrival of a baby boy. We had picked baby names (kinda, boys names are TOUGH), we had bought some sleepers, we donated ALL of Isabelle's baby clothes to good will, and started preparing his half of the closet. Those 4 weeks that we were having a boy I was of course excited, but also a little freaked...I don't spend a lot of time around baby boys. I am neurotic and odd and we spent time researching and discussing all the things little boys come with...mainly a penis. We would laugh at the thought of some little baby getting morning wood (which apparently happens), peeing all over in diaper changes, circumcision, all sorts of things... I had come to terms that I was having a beautiful boy that would pee all over me, we would even call my belly, baby bro!
Fast forward 4 weeks... "NOPE, that is definitely a girl!" the ultrasound tech told me, after letting us know the baby was healthy, and developing perfectly. I the emotional ball I am, started tearing up and said "REALLY? I can't wait for another baby girl!" My instant reaction was excitement...a baby girl, I can do this! I think my husband about fell off his chair, this the guy who made it VERY clear when we first got pregnant that he only makes boys!
My doc then wanted me to take a walk down the hall, see if baby would flop sides so she could get a better view or somethings...during our walk I look at Will and ensure that it takes a special dad to have baby girls, and he is the perfect guy for the job. Will comes from all boys, no sisters. I know what it is like to have a dad that comes from all boys, because my dad did...and he did great! Will continued to look a bit shocked, somewhat bummed, but of course happy the baby was healthy. Isabelle is the love of Will's life, he stays home with her, and he is amazing with her. I knew this baby girl was lucky to have him.
Will left after my ultrasound and I went in for my normal appointment. Totally ecstatic, I was so glad the baby was healthy, and I was so excited for Isabelle to have a sister. But the whole appointment I am thinking in my head... "OH CRAP, he is totally going to want me to get pregnant again after this to try for a boy" we had agreed baby number 2 was the perfect way to round out our family. After I got home, Isabelle went down for a nap and we talked...he stated he was not at all disappointed for another girl, but said at the thought that he won't have a boy...stating "there are just some things you can only teach a little boy!" I am thinking like what? My dad did so much with us girls, I don't think there is anything my bro got that we didn't. he continues with "like teach him to write his name in the snow." Are ya kidding me, you are sad about that? He also made it very clear that this would be the last baby, and he was happy with 2 girls...he then rounded out the conversation with "Do you think we could go get all of the baby clothes we donated back?" ummm no.
Needless to say it was a fun thought to have a baby boy, but this baby girl just feels right to me. If the baby comes out and it is a boy, I will be equally excited. I love little boys, I just have never had to opportunity to raise one-and by the looks of it, I never will.
Thoughts for the week:
-Starbucks via is amazing...I drink a decaf coffee every morning at my desk and it tastes great!
-Girls names are much easier than boys and it took us a total of 1 day to name this baby girl.
-Teaching your child to sign and speak is such a great thing...I feel like I can actually communicate with my 17 month old, she can tell me what she wants to drink, eat and do. I highly recommend it.
-Watching the person you love switch roles with you is very comforting. Will has been a stay at home dad rock star for a couple months, cleaning, cooking, taking care of Izzy etc...and it makes me know that we can both handle each others roles.
-Big Brother is addicting, if you have never seen it...Don't watch it! We can't look away.
-I can't wait for fall and then winter, I am so hot that 0 degrees sounds lovely...bring it!
-MN State Fair starts this week and I am excited to hopefully indulge in a crapfest of such good but totally bad for you grub!
-2 weeks ago I was SO excited to be half way done with my pregnancy and now this week my response has been, UGH I am ONLY half way done...the days are dragging.
-On that thought it would be great if we had a gestation time like dogs...I think 58 days, that sounds manageable!
Wish I had some girl stuff to give you here :( I think it is good to have two of the same. I love my boys and always wonder "what if I had a girl?" but they are so great and wouldn't change it for anything!
ReplyDelete