Monday, April 12, 2010

mom complex...

Talk about a fantastic weekend. I went on a great date with my husband, spent an evening with my family and sister/bro in law and nieces, and then had a great night out for a friends birthday. Gearing up for my friends birthday was quite the process. I am a very outgoing person, but now as a mom I feel a little out of place when I am out without Isabelle, like something is missing. So I almost get a little nervous about these types of outings (seriously a friends birthday, I am lame.)

So when chatting with the birthday girl the morning of her party I ask "What should I wear?" her response was "Oh it is a pretty hip place, just wear something hip!" As I seriously spit my coffee out of my mouth knowing I didn't have enough time to shop, and thinking of my closet. Oh crap, hip? My wardrobe went from young twenties to late sixties pretty fast after I got pregnant, and now that my daughter is 1, I still am not hip (maybe I never was hip to begin with.) In fact my wardrobe is so dreadful, a trip into the closet in the morning just looms over me. I guess I figured I would lose the last 10 baby pounds, and then I would shop. Well huge heads up...those last 10 baby pounds (or 20, seriously who's counting?) are hard to loose, and may be around forever...GASP! Unless you are a freak of nature like my sister, then you look better after you have a baby then you did before. I guess if I had to pick what my closet would look like, I would choose Ann Taylor, bright, cheery, flowy and just comfy chic. Unfortunately at this point my closet just looks dated and there is nothing comfy chic about it. So a boyfriend tee & jeans from the gap, with flip flops and a scarf was as hip as this mom could throw together.

Luckily what I was wearing had nothing to do with the amazing-ness that followed with that evening. We went out to this "Hyped" restaurant in Minneapolis called Chino Latino...way overpriced, but still a full house and totally fabulous. There were 7 of us, some of which were newbies to me! I love meeting new people, and now I feel as though my opening statement has to be something like "my daughter, or I am a mom" almost as an explanation of my tired eyes, and baby hips (thighs, butt, stomach--baby body)! But these fabulous individuals could of cared less. We laughed, enjoyed wonderful food, told stories and just genuinely enjoyed each others company. I actually felt like I was surrounded by friends. Picking up and moving half way across the country 9 months ago, I think it was one of the few times I felt that way lately. It is also nice genuinely enjoy the good people surrounding you.

Reflecting on the night I thought back to the countless nights I primped with my girl friends, shopped for the perfect outfit and flipped when my hair was out of place. I seriously hope I never missed out on some of these nights because I was so caught up in the "look" of it all. I am so happy that my lovely daughter has grounded me and helped me prioritize my life. As out of place as I may of looked-or felt I looked, I couldn't of been in a better place at a better time. I am just so grateful for good friends, family and happy nights.

Oh and I have a walking daughter, this weekend couldn't of been greater...to see a mini me strolling straight at me when I walk in the door. Seriously great!!

Mom, Wife and Life Thoughts...

Check stand people at Target, I don't understand why you think it is polite to make some rude comment about my child's ears, or what she is wearing. Please just check me out.

I think there is a time in every ones life when you view a family member as an actual person you would choose as a friend, even if they weren't family.

Lienenkugels honey weiss beer is probably the greatest draft brewski I have ever tried.

Surrounding yourself by "real" people is empowering, fun and overall great. (By real I mean, just honest to goodness-confident, they are who they are, what's it to you type persona)

Sometimes a busy day at the office means you only got to log in to facebook twice...geez lighten the load!

Laughing with your girlfriends never gets old!

Sometimes a far fetched, crazy, raunchy comedy is just what the doctor ordered.

Men truly are from Mars and I think it will take a lifetime to ever understand them. But until then I will keep trying :)

You are never too old or young to watch The Cosby Show.

Watching your child laugh about bubbles, peek a boo and something crazy like a banana peel-really makes you take a step back and soak in the simple things in life...

It is okay to love your job, and still feel like something is missing...and go searching for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment